Sunday, January 27, 2008

Week 3--Response to Randy's Blog

Concerning your take on Barker’s treatment of the subject of evolution, I agree and disagree. First off, I agree that Barker has a dim view of incorporating evolutionary biology and theology. He seems to assume the inevitability of “chance” governing existence that is has no “telos.” But I think it’s possible that God set up the algorithm of natural selection with a teleological aim. In keeping with God’s main mode of operation, the whole process only appears to be a product of chance with our limited knowledge and imagination.

I disagree only in the sense that Barker’s assessment shouldn’t cause us to doubt or give up on a biological-evolution approach to culture studies. His challenges of meaninglessness and Godlessness should cause us to align ourselves even more closely with science to show how God is all in all.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

good reflections here and I agree with your points.