Sunday, March 2, 2008

Week 8--Response to Wess about Myths

I agree with Wess that many of our myths rob us of our inspiration by not allowing us the freedom to see alternatives. There are many atheistic arguments that are on solid ground in this regard (i.e. religion is often rightly accused of being naïve and shortsighted). But if we agree to “move beyond” all of our myths we will no longer have any basis from which to argue our faith. I believe this point is crucial. There are some myths we must hold onto (at least in practice and maintaining a suspension of disbelief). I think we can win the argument with the atheist, not by deconstructing all of our myths, but by showing the atheist how he/she also operates by similar myths, and how this is an integral part of being human. It’s true that some myths are damaging, but others are healthy and can actually spur us on to greater inspiration and creative freedom than the deconstruction process can.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Darren,
great response - I don't think I've ever had a student respond to me in the form of a classmate response. I thought it was cool. Anyways, I completely agree with your assessment and see the necessity to 'suspend belief' as you suggest. I think I'd basically say that there is the role of the other involved in the deconstructing of our myths. And that often this 'other' is the role our traditions play.